I found a pattern for a stained glass 3D Maxwell car in a circa 1972 stained glass pattern book.
Jack Benny made the Maxwell car famous, because he used it in his show.
Since I do all of my woodworking and stained glass projects in Sketchup, I entered the design into Sketchup. I decided a car width of 3 inches was about right for this project.........so the main pieces are all 3 inches wide.
I have built quite a few 3D stained glass projects including open top boxes, jewelry boxes, klaediscope airplanes, and clocks. On some of these projects, I just use copper foil for the outer edge of the glass piece........on others I have used lead.
For this Maxwell car, I decided to foil first with black 1/4" wide foil, wrap with hobby lead, then solder the foil to the hobby lead. I think this is a much more robust design, from the perspective of the foil detaching from the glass during handling of the object, versus the hobby lead.
On the 4 wheels, I decided not to copper foil them, just put on the hobby lead on the outside. This worked fine.
On previous 3D projects, I learned that a 90 degree wood block helps tremendously.............to hold the 2 pieces at 90 degrees during soldering. I used the same wood block from previous 3D projects, and I temporarily clamp the glass using plastic spring clamps........which works great.
I had a little time during Thanksgiving day, 2018, to start soldering up the pieces. But, after I got the seat soldering in...........I noticed I had made a big mistake !!
I thought the back vertical piece joined the bottom horizontal piece........which is incorrect !!!!!!!!
It was easy to remove the 2 pieces that make up the seat..........because they are just tack soldered in place.
It was more difficult to unsolder the joint between the vertical back and the horizontal bottom base!
I had some brass rods in stock, and I used them for the Maxwell. I buy them from McMaster-Carr online.
I printed a sideview of the car from Sketchup, so I could lay the car body down on it........and tell where to install the wheels. Once I got 1 side of wheels solder on........I flipped it over.......and used a black plastic square to make sure the top wheels were lined up with the installed bottom wheels. I checked on the lower horizontal piece and the seat after I had all the wheels soldered on.............and I was within 1 degree of horizontal on the front base........and about 3 degrees on the seat.........so not too bad given all the tolerance stackups involved.
These are Hobby Lobby glass globs. I wrapped them in hobby lead, no foil. I used a wood shim to hold them in the right position for soldering.
I picked out a heavy lead, number RU-81 from my inventory selection I keep at home. I wanted some beefy fenders. I used my fingers to bend them...........to the pattern I printed out from Sketchup. It might be easy to cut a form out of wood first, then just bend the U came lead to the wood form.
Boy, this is one of the projects where you wonder if not black patina.......or with black patina.............looks the best. I really like the no patina look..........other than my soldering is not the prettiest to view. I decided to go ahead and apply patina..............but I might make some more Maxwell's someday.......and may not patina those.
This was a fun project! If I make more Maxwell's, I need to pay attention to assemble the right pieces on the main body. .............I should print out a side view of the car from Sketchup to remind me the right way to assemble it.
These cars would also look like with no patina applied.