Back in 2011, my daughter Stacy asked me design and build her a headboard. She gave me these ideas for what she wanted, including the color black with a flat black finish.
Yes, that is cane in the upper panels. I ordered some cane from Rockler. I have never messed with cane before, so this will be a new experience!
designed up the new headboard in Google Sketchup. I had another old headboard
that was 1.75" thick, so I decided to make this new headboard 2.0"
thick. Black does not show up well in Sketchup, so I made the headboard a
light brown color to be able to see all the trim clearly.
I will use crown molding at the top.
I set up the old Sears 12 inch planer Model 3069142 to plane boards down to 2" thickness. I glued up 2x6's to 1x6's for starting thickness of 2-1/4". Between passes thru the planer, I staged the boards in the bed of my truck......minimized amount of lifting.
I used 3/8" dowels to glue up the frame. I used my old Sears 9-4184 center dowel set to mark the dowel holes for drilling:
The cane came rolled up. I soaked it for an hour in warm water in bathtub. Then I laid it flat so it would dry flat:
I installed the mitered moldings in the panels. I painted the 2 lower panels black before I installed them. On previous projects, the panels moved and revealed unfinished areas. I painted these black first, so later movement while assembled would not show up:
I then nailed and glued the top piece on. I used my miter saw to miter the crown molding also. Clamping a block helped to keep the molding in the right position while sawing:
I hung the frame upside down by 2 wires for painting in my shop using eyehooks in the bottom of the 2 legs:
I started to spray paint the frame with my one coat of flat black spray paint.......and boy was that a bad plan! The raw pine sucked up the paint. It would take a whole case of spray paint to paint the headboard!
I hand painted or brushed on 1 coat of black satin enamel...........later I can spray paint over it to change finish from gloss to flat black:
I would recommend making a bill of material and assigning each piece in the frame a part number. You can then check off the part numbers one at a time as you saw each piece to length.
All-in-all, this project went pretty well. I was surprised how nice the flat black finish looked when I got done.