The welcome sign in our old park is worn out.......
I want to design and build a new sign, which will use a printed decal glued to a 3/16" thick piece of aluminum. I want to keep the existing posts for hanging the sign, including the two eyebolts at the top. I used Sketchup to design the new sign.
I first went to McMaster-Carr online, but I could not find a product that would work. I next went to my local Ace Hardware store in Fairbury. They had a D-ring that will work great for this application!
My design is basically a 2x4 pressure treated frame. It has 1/2 sheet of 1/2" exterior plywood glued to 1/2x1/2" grooves routed in the 2x4 frame. I made 1" quarter-round molding from pressure-treated 1 inch thick deck boards. The quarter-round holds the thin mural in place on the front, and I put molding on the back, to keep the sign balanced from a weight perspective. I used (2) 2.5" long deck screws at each corner joint. The outside dimensions of the frame are roughly 96x24 inches.
I used Titebond II glue because the sign will be outdoors. Hopefully, my plywood glued design will make a rigid frame, that will not sag in the center over years of time.
The wood frame got 2 coats of Zinsser's white paint. Then a coat of grey latex exterior paint.
I had some heavy rope that I used to help me lower the old sign. I basically tied off both ends of the sign with the rope, then attached each rope to my Ford F150 truck. I removed the nuts from the hangar bolts on each side, then gradually lowered each side of the sign using the rope. It worked pretty slick!
I wanted to re-used the old hanger bolts on my new sign. But when I removed them from the old sign, they were badly rusted. I was able to find new hanger bolts at our Fairbury Fastener store.
A local company has a 52 inch wide printer they use to print decals. Their main business is decorating 18-wheelers with the decals, but the printer can be used to make great signs as well. I provide the art work, and this company prints up the decals, then mounts them to 3/16" aluminum composite material. The cost to print this sign was $300.
I used the same 2 rope method in reverse that I used to take down the old sign. A young man who lives near the park gave me a hand in pulling the ropes and raising the sign. It worked very well.
All-in-all, things went pretty well on this project. The new sign is a big improvement over the old sign, and it should last for many years.