I decided to make 1 from walnut like the plans, but to use red oak on the 2nd one.
I bought some walnut and cherry from Rockler:
For the crank handles, I modified some spindles I already had in stock, as shown above.
To make the wavy ring, I glued the paper pattern to the inside of the rings, then cut them using the upside-down jig saw like the pattern suggests. I modified the plan by making the inner shaft bearing piece removable with 2 screws as shown above.
The angles used in the video did match the online calculator.
I decided to make a trial piece out of pine.
The first step is to saw a 37 degree angle on the long edge of both blanks.
I used the digital angle finder that my brother-in-law Steve from Hawaii gave me as a Christmas gift to set the blade as close as possible to 37 degrees.
This all was going ok until I noticed the finished roof was too big for the carousel.
I went back and I goofed up on 1 dimension. The linked video said each wedge should be 1-15/32" wide, and I mis-read it as 1-15/16". I guess that is why you do a sample first
I used a small artist's brush to make sure each face of the wedge was coated liberally with Titebond glue. I used a wet rag to remove the excess glue from inside the carousel top after it was final taped.
These 3 carousel tops came out a smaller diameter as expected when I used the correct wedge width dimension. They must fit into the wavy ring, so you must reduce the final diameter to match the ring ID. I used a combination of scroll saw and stationary disc sander to reduce them to the right diameter to fit into the ring.
You can use a 1/4" dowel as the rotation point with this router. I got some burning on the cherry, and had to take it out with the drill press drum sander.
Because I got the burning and had to sand it out, I switched to scroll sawing the 2nd set and finish sanding to the line on the drill press drum sander.
As I started final assembly of the carousels, I had an issue with one carousel where the center 3/4" pole was not perpendicular to the horizontal. Found out my drill press was 1.5 degrees out of perpendicular. I drill a new main bearing block closer to 90 degrees. I also used the miter saw to slightly angle the bottom of the main bearing block also. It is a good thing the center bearing block is removable, so you can adjust it until the 3/4" pole is vertical.
Unfortunately, the magazine article did not give a source for the bicycle bell.
I searched online at Amazon, googled it, and checked at my local Ace and Big R stores. I could not find any bells like the one used in the magazine. The best choice I could find was at Wal-Mart.
This bell is bigger physically than in the magazine picture, but I made it work.
I used a 2 inch OD disc about 3/4" high, to mount the bell to the base. I mounted the 1/4" dowel on the vertical carousel shaft just above the bottom base.
I used (1) 1/4" dowel plus 1 screw to attach the 2 inch OD to the base. I used the 2 machine screws that came with the bell to attach it to the 2 inch OD.
It took a lot of man-hours to build these 2 carousels, but they are pretty neat when you get them done! For the bell, I used a bicycle bell from Wal-mart, and the spring came from Ace Hardware.
The 2 carousels I built in early 2016 have been played with by my grandchildren, plus many adults at shows. I recently noticed one of them did not work right, and I found the top of the dowel for one of the ponies had broken off.
I originally made the 3 vertical dowels from regular dowels, which are relatively soft wood.
The dowels fit into a split-block piece of wood that has a 1/2 round hole..........and the top 1" or so of the dowel has a flat spot on it. I noticed I did not make the block hole 1/4" diameter to match the dowels, it was about 3/16" maybe...........which then caused me to have to remove material from the top of the dowel........making it more likely to break.
I am going to replace the birch dowels with 1/4" oak dowels. I used the Dremel with a very small straight router bit, to enlarge the block hole to match the dowels.